Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Process and Development




As I stated researching on my character with more depth, I was confused of how about could I design a house for him. I started with looking at his past history. With the past he had; born on the streets of NY and not having the luxury to afford to go to a good school for his education, I tried to design a house that may perhaps reflect onto his personal experience in life. As he has a softer side to him due to the past he had with his parents’ separation and his struggle to achieve something in life. For that purpose I had to keep in mind that since the house would speak about his past experience, I had to make sure it was not too sophisticated but instead simple and a storytelling house.



Design 4 is what it leads to, simple, calm and neat. As I used a simple curve passage for the lounge area to give that journey of experience into what h has achieved to where e was in the past and vice-versa. The lounge is fully glazed with triangular trusses (reprints triangular forms in math) to allow him to communicate with the external environment. The lounger leads into the tower which reflects onto what he has achieved in his life (his present), a mathematician. The shape and façade incorporates with different shapes and forms where he revolves around everyday life. Again because of the design, his lab and rooms are more enclosed space to give him his privacy with his work!



For Design 3, I took a completely different approach. I look at it at a mathematician’s point of view. I tried to get into the ‘Thinking processes’ of a mathematician. I used more sophisticated forms and tried playing around with the theory of ‘Dynamic Programming’. This is a method of solving problems exhibiting properties of overlapping and optimal substructure. Here I experimented with how I could take these mathematical solutions to form a space. So I played around with various shapes and properties and create house in a more abstract manner. I created the house with repetitive and layering of shapes which reflect onto the same shapes and formulas that he indulges into everyday. A lot of light I allowed n the house to give the lively atmosphere all the way in the house. Due to the busy Schedule Richard Bellman has, I have he does not have the chance to socialize a lot so designed a balcony were he could communicate with external world ad environment and spends some quality time.



I did a lot of research into how I can relate math with architecture and so got some inspirations and ideas from various places and shapes, and tried to implement them onto my designs. As seen on Design 1 and Design 2, I have tried to mingle the two ideas of Design 3 and Design 4 onto them. With the use of bulging shapes and forms from the wall. With the creative and more challenging side of his, I tried to play around with abstract forms and distorting to create more simple yet complex spatial qualities.

No comments: